Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Boys Town, 1938 (Grade D)

Director: Norman Taurog
Awards: Tracy Won Academy Award for Best Actor --nominated in other categories but didn't win
Cast: Spencer Tracy; Micky Rooney; Henry Hull; Leslie Fenton; Gene Reynolds; Edward Norris; Addison Richards; Minor Watson; Jonathan Hale; Bobs Watson.
sez says:  oh my this is sappy -- It was like one long fund raising campaign to support Boys Town. That is tiresome.  On the other hand I bet it was a very progressive movie at the time: "There is no such thing as a bad boy". That homeless kids were thrown into reform schools is appalling.  And Spencer Tracy does his bit very well. Micky Rooney is over the top --but he is a good at going over the top.  Still--unless you are a die-hard of some sort (needing to see all of Tracy's movies, or all the best actor movies, etc.) I can't recommend it to anyone. I felt like I wasted an evening watching it --but then I am a die-hard sort and have determined to accept some wasted time in order to discover forgotten greats .. my grade for this on is D-

No comments:

Post a Comment

join in the fun with your one liner -- the only rule, be civil: