Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Thin Man, 1934

Director: W.S. Van Dyke
Studio: MGM
Awards: nominated for multiple Academy Awards --didn't win but is in the AFI Best 100 Laughs List
Stars:  William Powell; Myrna Loy, Maureen O'Sullivan, Cesar Romero
IMDB Link:  The Thin Man

sez says: It seems strange to me to see so very much alcohol consumed in a movie--especially when it is played as a 'comic' element.   At least every 2 to 3 minutes --throughout the entire movie--yet another drink is poured.  I guess what we laugh at evolves. Anyway, beautiful Myrna Loy shows she can pull off a variety of physical-gags, starting with her entrance.  The story is more complex than most of this era -- it was a Dashell Hammett mystery, that may be why. But they did a fine job keeping all the story elements in order...and there is some early noir style photography. Asta the dog is a nice aside in the story--I can see why this trio Powell, Loy and Asta became popular. I would not go out of my way to see any more of this series--but I am glad I saw this one.

mjc says:  saw a film in this series years ago and the drinking stuck in my mind, as we as the Powell Loy exchanges.  Fun to see them at it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

join in the fun with your one liner -- the only rule, be civil: